BLOG: Mocking the Mock

banner

2005/02/01

Mocking the Mock

Day 74:

Today I spent two hours administering a mock science graduation test.

I'll explore the "mock" portion first, then the subject matter.

To begin, every student in the school knows that this is a "mock" test. Administrators blather on the intercom "Mock this" and "Mock that" fourteen times a day. You'd think we were in a London air raid from WWII. Of course, to students "mock" means "This will never count for anything so I might as well Christmas Tree it and think about Quake 45 instead." I can't say as I blame them. I don't like doing things that don't matter either. If I were them, I would probably put some butter on my test and eat it. I would do fine on the real thing, because my parents taught me to try my best- if my actions have real consequences. If I'm playing Duck Hunt on Nintendo, I'm not going to kick myself if I miss a duck here or there, or even fall asleep with Cheetos on my lap for half an hour.

Because the ducks aren't real.

Now, for the subject matter.

It's not exactly a secret that I'm an English teacher.

Why would an English teacher proctor a Science test, you might ask?

Welcome to public education, folks. I couldn't make this stuff up.

In my classes, I try to foster a willingness in my students to question their surroundings- in other words, not accept the status quo. So it amused me to no end when one of my students came to the same exact realization I had earlier. He was taking his test when he stopped, put down his pencil, and looked up. He asked me, "Why are you giving this test? You're an English teacher. Shouldn't the science teachers be in charge of this?"

Success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters