BLOG: Shakespeare should be so lucky...

banner

2005/01/31

Shakespeare should be so lucky...

Day 75:"You try me and I gonna jub ya'" my student said angrily as he charged another classmate.

Momentarily baffled into inaction, I reply, "Jub? What's that?"

He stopped his charge, turned and replied (to the best of my recollection):"Uuhhhahhhgonewidhetryuhhhaahhg urgleslurpnuh". He then smiled with his large and unkept teeth.

I instantly began for sharp objects to aid me in my neverending quest of leaving this earth prematurely. No luck.

Today the lesson was to build a paper polyhedron. I personally think they're pretty neat. I also thought it would be good because it's tactile and kinesthetic.

http://hverrill.net/pages~helena/origami/sonobe/instructions/

I was wrong.

In order to build the model, thirty identical pieces of paper must be folded. My students have such bad short-term memory that they would forget how to make the second piece after they've finished the first. Then they forget how to make the eighth after making the seventh. What's that? How can one learn something if they can't retain it?

I'm also going to start making my classes watch McGyver. They don't know how to see things in a different way. Example: One of my classes actually created a polyhedron and wanted to hang it from the ceiling. We found some string, but we needed a short pencil or paper clip to place inside the structure after tying it to the string. We didn't have a paper clip, and all of the pencils were too long. They were stuck. I grabbed a pencil and broke it in half. You should have seen 'em- they stared at me like I was Moses striking the rock. Their lives are so concrete and linear that I pity them- but I'm also strangely envious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters