BLOG: Four-Square

banner

2005/02/04

Four-Square

Since I don't have an internet connection at home, this might be my last post until Monday. We'll see. At any rate, don't assume I've given up on this blog (or been kidnapped) if you don't see a new post over the next few days.

Today, since my students are learning about Modernist literature, I had them play the children's game four-square. Why? Well, I took it from the Frost line "One could do worse than be a swinger of birches." We discussed how the Modernist writers believed that America was becoming a cesspool of filth and corruption, and how they wished to return to a childlike innocence. (The poem I posted a few days ago by Jeffers also reiterates this theme.) Thus, I thought it would be neat if they "returned" to their childhood, if only for a few minutes.

It's sad, but high schoolers for the most part have lost all of their innocence. During the game, there were those who sat hunched over like busy accountants crunching numbers. It was heartbreaking. They're 17, and they already act just like their parents.

I had to watch a classroom today during fifth period. About halfway through class I leaned back in my chair and placed my feet on the wall. Every student in class turned to me with eyes wide. I was justifiably freaked out so I asked one of them what the big deal was. A girl in the corner piped up, "We're not allowed to touch the wall. We get in trouble."

God help us. God help us all.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters