BLOG: Subpoenas

banner

2006/08/24

Subpoenas

Yesterday I headed north of Jackson to serve subpoenas. A subpoena is a document which requires your presence in court to testify for a given purpose. These were federal subpoenas, which means you have to supply the subpoenaed person with travel expenses and a per diem fee. Adding even more gravitas to the whole occasion was the fact that I was serving the subpoenas at a federal correctional institution.

I expected to find a man with over-sized glasses and a hound dog, but instead I found modern structures and bland architectural lines. The grass was nice, however- I found it was too perfect to walk on, sign or no sign.

What's neat about subpoenas is how far-reaching their power is. If you just ignore one, the judge might very well issue a bench warrant for your arrest, and the sheriffs will throw you into jail until you feel like complying with the court's demands.

Most people, even if they don't want them, simply accept them because they're not expected. No one thinks, "I bet I get served a federal document today." At least, no one I know does. So when the thing happens, they're so awestruck they take the thing before they get the good sense to run away and hide. Because if you don't accept the subpoena, you don't have notice, which means you're not under the court's power.

I find I'm best able to serve subpoenas when I act like an idiot. People recognize slick behavior from a mile away and let up their guard. However, if you turn on the folksly charm, people let down their defenses and then WHAM! they're served and you're out the door.

To make a long story short, I was able to serve the subpoenas and make a little bit of money for my efforts.

Sorry this post isn't more exciting. Every day, however, can't be a parade of memorable dreams and rosy-cheeked cherubs. Sometimes it's just a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters