BLOG: First Day Down

banner

2006/08/21

First Day Down

First day of my second year of law school is over.

Blah.

It was interesting, but it's no match for the frantic, fuel-inspired event that is the first day of law school as a 1L. You could feel the anxiety amoung the 1Ls. Some of them were buying half the bookstore, emptying it of its stock of study aides and outlines. Hilarious. Others, smug in their brilliance, sat around and daydreamed about how they were going to change the world into a place where everyone sits around and plays hopscotch- when they weren't telling everyone else who would listen how important they were. Here's a tip I've picked up from experience: If you have to tell people how awesome you are, you're probably not. Sorry.

One was also able to observe the ritualistic 1L mating frenzy, as marriage-obsessed females dressed with the decorum of drunk flappers and sniffed out eligible bachelors. That parade will continue until about October, when cold weather and unrealized dreams will sequester their objectives until the next year.

But for me, it's just another day, albeit one where I have to get up and sit in a classroom.

Appellate Advocacy appears as if it will be a ton of work. Not looking forward to that one much.

Evidence should be interesting- my professor appears to know what he's talking about. He should, after all, he's a Court of Appeals Judge.

Con law is highly philosophical- thus I find it terribly exciting. Not very practical, mind you, but nothing exciting usually is. Except for, maybe, fire. And cars. And laser beams.

Never mind, that was obviously a mistaken belief the more I think about it.

The good thing is that since my wife is working at the law library, we will be able to carpool three out of five days a week. Take that, ExxonMobil! The other two days we'll have to take separate cars, as I'll be working part-time out of town. Today we went out for lunch at Wendy's. Apparently there's a Vanilla Frosty now. Must be tasted soon.

In other news, my plan of not using a laptop seemed to work well. I paid attention for the most part. Toward the end of Constitutional Law (my last class- a full two hours!) I turned my Coke bottle top into a wheel by taking the little plastic ring it attaches to when unopened and slipping it over (with some difficulty) the narrow end of the cap, thereby making a rudimentary wheel. It's always bothered me how the cap rolls in circles in its natural state, since one end is bigger than the other. It reminds me a little too much of a one legged duck.

Other than that, I took notes and followed along. Short summary: Hamilton liked the idea of a government bank- Madison didn't. Washington wanted a bank so he accepted Hamilton's interpretation. Next up- the court case that affirmed it. Oh, the intrigue!

Tomorrow, I have Business Associations I (it's as boring as it sounds, I hear; God only knows why they have a Business Associations II) and Electronic Research Seminar.

Electronic Research Seminar will likely be my favorite class. It's small (it's not exactly a sexy legal topic), interesting, and will be somewhat helpful if I decide to go the law librarian route after graduation.

After all, I likes to keep my options open.

2 Comments:

Blogger buffalodawg said...

I fully and completely, without reservations of any kind, endorse the vanilla frosty.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Yorick said...

Thanks for the heads up!

I'll surely ingest one soon.

Your blog appears insightful and well-written. Both are indeed rare qualities in a blog. I'm glad you chose to stop by.

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters