BLOG: Principle

banner

2006/08/17

Principle

Today, in preparation for my grand adventure tomorrow, I went to buy a spare tire. I had been driving around for a while without one- mainly because there's no where I desperately need to be if I do get a flat- but I decided it was time.

On my way to drop off the flat tire, I saw something curious. First, I need to back up.

There's a gas station on the way to the tire place. It's actually a combination gas station/restaurant. A while back the restaurant closed and a Sprint store moved in. I'm not sure when all this happened because I wasn't here, but happened it did.

For as long as I can remember, this particular gas station has always displayed the Ten Commandments near the road. They are set on a metal post and face out to the passing traffic. I always admired it, mostly because it takes courage to believe in anything in this society. I would have felt the same admiration had it been a Buddha statue or Koran or yin-yang symbol. I might not have believed it myself, but I would have upheld the choice. This is America, after all.

Anyway, today Sprint was having a "Free Phone" sale. Which means a lot of bright, yellow signs. And a medium-sized tent. And a banner. Nothing out of the place there.

However, the banner was attached to the tent and the... wait for it... the Ten Commandments. Not only was the banner attached to the pole that supported them, but the other tether was placed over Them.

Someone saw a display that serves as the basis for Judaism and a large part of Christianity and decided it would make a good anchor for a banner. I'm not the most religious person by any means, but that doesn't mean I would use an altar to tie my shoe or a synagogue to sell my wares. There just must be certain limits of decency in society.

After thinking for a moment and debating with myself, I slowed down.

I pulled in and walked into the Sprint store. There was a young man and woman in the store. One instantly leapt to attention and said, "How may I help you, sir?"

I paused for a moment, because I really hadn't prepared a speech, then began:

"I don't mean to cause a stir or anything, but I just think it's in bad taste to use the Ten Commandments to support a free phone banner. I know it won't change anything, but I just felt like I had to say something."

I was greeted by utter silence. Blank and unblinking faces.

So, like an idiot, I continued.

"Like I said, I know it won't change anything, but I had to say something or I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. Well, have a good day."

I took one more look at their blank faces and then headed out the door.

I'm pretty sure it'll stay there until the sale is over, but I stated my opinion.

And America is nothing if not a place where we can voice those.

1 Comments:

Blogger dawnsia said...

For someone who avoids rows at the groccery store with people in them-I applaud you.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters