BLOG: Waterfall

banner

2006/08/13

Waterfall

Today I was bumming around geocaching.com and discovered a geocache near my new place.

(For the uninitiated, Geocaching is an activity where you hide stuff, post the coordinate online, and then people find them with satellite-informed GPS devices. Some of the better devices can be honed in down to a few square feet of where the item is hid. Generally, the items are hidden in neat little out of the way spots, so the actual geocache is just an excuse to go out and do stuff. Fairly clever, no?)

The geocache was near one of the old timber bridges that cross near the Pearl. One of the comments mentioned a waterfall. This excited me to no end, because I had no idea there was a waterfall near the bridge. The combination of irkiness I felt at not knowing something about the area, combined with my curiosity, led me to check the place out.

I arrived at the bridge and quickly found the waterfall right where the creek empties into the Pearl. I had looked at it every time I crossed the bridge, yet never seen it. From the bridge's angle, it looks like a manmade concrete structure. Once you climb down the ravine and actually face the thing, however, one sees this:

(Having trouble getting picture to post- probably due to bandwidth concerns on the site- you can view it at the link below if interested.)

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/3b6b6f82-808a-4d14-9faa-68b083be0d56.jpg

It's a huge sandstone ledge, with large chunks of rock that have broken off. I imagine in the past various people have used it as an impromptu shelter- hunters, Native Americans, Civil War soldiers.

After admiring the view, I proceeded to pull out of the creek bed three metal cattle gates for my father-in-law. They had been down there for at least four months, so I didn't feel bad about taking them. Had I waited any longer, they would have been washed to the bottom of the Pearl. The first one went up with no problem. The second two gave me fits, and I had to stop and take frequent breaks. I had to climb up a 65 degree angle or so while balancing the thing or either pulling it from behind. Since it weighed a bit, it wanted to pull me back down the ravine into the flowing creek. It's a wonder I pulled them out, or didn't drown in the process.

That said, I can't wait to go back and figure out just what else I don't know about the area.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yorick, you play around old bridges and waterfalls AND YOU DON'T THINK YOU NEED INSURANCE!!!!!
Atleast tell someone where you are going so when you don't come home, they know where to go look for your body. How about snakes?

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters