BLOG: Twist

banner

2006/08/03

Twist

I'm tired of how people twist and corrupt what other people say. In my opinion, that's ten times worse than merely ignoring an individual.

We read into other's statements that which we want to hear, as opposed to what they're actually saying.

Just recently, a client was advised by the attorney to do something. I was there. I heard it. I'm not crazy.

Today, the client wanders in and says to the secretary, "Hey, I need to know this so I can do this so the attorney can do this for me- that's what he said to do."

The attorney said no such thing. He told the client to do it. But the guy hears what he wants.

It's almost as if everything he hears is instantly converted to the most advantageous statement possible, as far as he's concerned.

Me: Hey, you're house is on fire.

Crazy Person: Why thanks for offering to put it out and pay for the damages! You're a great friend!

Is this a mental illness? Have we become so adept at not hearing other people that we've simply replaced their statements with replies of our own? Is conversation nothing more than a parlor trick, when in fact we're actually just talking to ourselves? Is discourse nothing more than simply giving ourselves a chance to hear our own voice?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters