BLOG: Whew!

banner

2006/07/24

Whew!

My boss had been preparing for a HUGE federal case this last week, which was scheduled to begin this week.

He was the local attorney on the case- if you're not licensed to practice in a certain state (and you have the financial resources to keep the case) you hire a local guy to come in a be a legal ombudsman, so to speak. Then you attach yourself to his certification and everything is kosher. At least, that's how I think it works.

On Wednesday we receive some federal subpoenas through the fax machine that he wanted me to serve. That the guys in Big Firm wanted delivered before the trial on Monday- as a result, I run all over town on Thursday morning handing subpoenas to various people. (On the upside, I was reimbursed $25 for each subpoena I served, so that was good.)

However, we forgot to attach checks to the subpoenas, so the other side raised a motion to quash them on Friday afternoon. So, in a frantic frenzy, we remade the subpoenas and I was given the horrible task of trying to find medical experts on the weekend, with no home addresses to go on. A google search barely helped, and I was largely unsuccessful in my quest.

Ergo, I walk into work today thinking that I completely screwed everything up, and our side is going to lose a LARGE amount of money due to my lack of subpoena-serving abilities. Large, as in I'm-pretty-I-couldn't-have-paid-it-back-in-my-lifetime large. That kind of money.

However, the trial was settled today and everything turned out alright after all. But it was certainly a harrowing experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters