BLOG: Capital Game #2

banner

2006/07/07

Capital Game #2

For those new to the site, here's how the game is played:

Hidden in the passage below are the names of state capitals- I haven't decided on how many yet.

The capitals can be separated by spaces or punctuation marks but not letters that would distort the spelling of the word.

Example: "Jack's on drugs."

Answer: Jackson- Mississippi

(I couldn't have put "Jack is on drugs" because "Jackison" is not a state capital.

Have fun, and you can look at the list here if you need some help.


Jack checked the silencer on his Beretta and hid amongst the shadows. The gentle waves of the ocean slapped against the shore in a comforting rhythmn. Jack barely heard it. His eyes were trained on a silhouette against the last pier, resplendently outlined against the rising yet waning moon.

The target.

He had been told the man would be here, but he hadn't known if his source was to be trusted. That damn Santiago will never let me live this down. Still, he kept his guard up- he had been tricked one too many times. Once he had been saved by the slimmest shard of providence- an itch on his shoulder had caused a bullet to graze harmlessly by. As a result, he was loathe to take chances, and worked with the methodical calculation of a madman.

Within him, the old killing fires began to burn. The swirling haze of his subconscious formed a nascent plan. Singe. That's a better word. Yes- singe, that carries a better connotation. He almost smiled to himself- a quiet reflection of the fact that he was debating diction immediately before shooting a man. I'm not quite right, am I? The killer smiled again.

The air was cool and surprisingly pleasant. A few more seconds- let the moon rise a bit more before making your move. Patience is a virtue. He failed to heed his own advice, and silently crept closer and closer to his intended prey.

Twenty feet away, and he raised his gun to fire. Suddenly the figure spoke.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

The assassin waited out of idle curiosity, his finger still pressed softly against the trigger.

"I came here to die. They've done away with me. And I knew you would come. Your friend Santiago set up this meeting." The plan was falling into place at last.

"He told me you would be upset- but he was paid well and you'd be smart to forgive him. Information is a valuable commodity in your field. He could very well initiate a total ban, you know."

The figure turned.

"Well, go ahead and kill me. I just stopped you earlier because I wanted to collect my thoughts and let you know that you're not the assassin you think you are. Hell, Santiago could be your bos-"

Tonight the world would be one man poorer and one man richer.

And somewhere in Russia, a top-secret laboratory would discover a missing cache of experimental drugs- drugs which caused psychosis and depression. Looks like Santiago is to be trusted after all.

Edit: I'm going to leave a comment that says how many capitals there are. Much like Faust, I need to up the ante from time to time. Leaving said comment will hopefully satiate those who like to be challenged.

I'll also include a hint- but don't look until you're stumped.

3 Comments:

Blogger Yorick said...

There are 7 capitals.

Hint: Look carefully at the choice of wording used in the very first italicized sentence, in the instructions.

Good luck!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Yorick said...

One of the seven isn't "Jackson"- even I'm not that lame!

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you must be running out of things to blog about.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters