BLOG: Beginnings

banner

2006/08/03

Beginnings

Yesterday I headed out to a burgeoning Military Park on my way home from work and did a little exploring. It's not much, yet- just a few cannons and a one-mile trail that loops around the whole thing- but it's nice.

I was mostly interested in the trail, and the fact that half of the trail is really the "old" Highway 18. A concrete bridge crosses a small creek, probably a bridge that's over one hundred years old. I've always loved old abandoned roads and bridges, for unknown reasons. I suppose it's the sense of history, the semblance of decay, the untold stories buried in the past.

Also, they're just neat. It's interesting to see how things fall apart over time.

The Park is quite pertinent, as it's on the site of a battle that served as the precursor to the Siege of Vicksburg, which is one of the turning points of the Civil War. Part of the trail runs next to Fourteenmile Creek, the place of the heaviest fighting. It was easy to imagine the old Blue and Grey traipsing across that field under a hail of artillery and gunfire.

The other side of the loop was made from an old railroad line, and as a result the path was straight and narrow, cutting a shadowed tunnel through the dense woods. Two wooden bridges were at either end, newly fashioned ones that traversed Fourteenmile Creek and another, smaller tributary.

Even though it was sweltering and I was still wearing jeans from work (my job is pretty casual) I jogged about a mile. Simply because I hadn't done it in a while. It sucked, but I enjoyed it. It felt good to force the body to do something.

I would like to register for a 5K sometime in the near future, for maybe February or March. I need a tangible goal to focus on, if I'm to keep this thing up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters