BLOG: Delayed Reaction

banner

2005/07/16

Delayed Reaction

I would normally post more, but my life is in a holding pattern until law school starts. Not much happens when you sit at home and watch one of the five channels that you can pick up via antenna.

I did some exploring yesterday and found where the cows crossed the creek to enter the field next to our house. At the far end of the field, the barbwire fence gives way and you find yourself standing on the edge of what appears to be a miniature Grand Canyon. Either the cows or the water has cut a groove through the earth. At one point, the "cliffs" measure at least six feet above the ground below. This is nominal, I know, but its quite impressive when all the land around it is flat. At both ends of the canyon, the land slowly rises to meet the field above it, and the cows' hoofs have left little indentions that fill with water the color of coffee. It would be amazing to see them make the trip.

In other news, I finally thought of a way to keep the dogs from getting hit by cars. They never head toward the road until we go to leave, so normally it's not a problem. But I needed to find a way to make them stay on the property until we had time to leave. Since we've got to open the gate, this takes a while to accomplish. After racking my brain, I came up with the following solution: there's a small fenced pen behind the trailer that I place them in before I leave (I would keep them in there the whole duration, but I hate to keep them in that small place for too long) and then I place a large bucket of water in front of the door. Then I attach a bungee cord (the kind with hooks at the ends) to both the pen and the lip of the bucket. Then I pull out the plug at the bottom of the bucket and quickly leave.

After about five minutes (and after I've left), the bucket grows considerably lighter and the bungee cord picks it up, which causes the door to swing open. It worked fine today, and I chuckle to myself when I picture the dogs sitting in the cage whining when the door opened on its own.

Now that I know the idea works, I'm trying to make it more practical to use on an everyday basis so it's not a pain to do when we both have to leave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters