BLOG: Move From Hell

banner

2005/07/09

Move From Hell

I'm finally settled in my new home in Mississippi. It took almost exactly a week to get everything unpacked and in place. Only seconds ago, I was able to establish an internet connection- hence the long time between posts.

The move, although well-planned, quickly fell apart at the seams. First, I had trouble renting a moving van from Budget. They sent me to another location and then I had trouble using the Amex, although it should have worked. So I had to put down $500 on my debit, which is money I really couldn't afford to spend at the moment. But I also needed my things in Mississippi, so I plunked it down.

Secondly, my wife and I planned on driving down together with the last of the pets and the moving van. I would drive the van with a stray cat in a carrier riding in the front, and my wife would drive one of our cars and transport three dogs. Well, that worked until we hit Tuscaloosa, Alabama. I had to stop to get gas so my wife stopped and the car died in an Arby's parking lot. We tried to jump it off, but no luck. She was dead. (The car, not my wife.)

After trying to think- which is hard when you have four unhappy pets- I decided that our only option was to cram all of us into the front compartment of the Budget rental truck. Try, if you can, to imagine two people, three dogs, and a stray cat all trying to fit in a tiny space for the better part of three hours and you'll get a sense of what we went through.

Thirdly, I had to drive back to Tuscaloosa a few days later and get the car fixed. Turns out she needed a new alternator, a new battery, and a new ignition switch. Since they knew I was out of town, they charged me $471.59. Once again, money I really couldn't afford to spend.

But, we made it. The dogs are happy on their six acres, the cats are content inside, and me and the wife are starting to get small chances to relax now that the maelstrom of moving is slowly fading away. I guess all is well that ends well.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are glad you and the wife are here. now let us hope you will remember to keep gas in the car!!!!!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

i have come to the conclusion that moving residences cannot happen without at least a billion other financial catastrophes. we just bought a house the week my car died and the week my husband turned his knee out requiring surgery (surgery where our copay is at least $1200). good luck in the new place! the atlanta public school system will not be the same without you. hope the hurricane steered clear of your new abode.

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters