BLOG: The March Begins

banner

2005/06/18

The March Begins

Today I received a packet from Mississippi College. In it was a suggested reading list that ran two pages and a list of times to pick up a sample case to brief. It's all starting to seem real now.

I just finished reading Scott Turow's One-L, the classic account of his first year at Harvard. It really made me realize what an awesome time commitment law school will be. There were moments that I grew so connected to the text that I felt emotionally drained, as if I were living his experiences. I think reading his work, combined with the aforementioned packet, really brought home the point that law school starts in less than two months. After that, I'll be reading for hours a day. This is strange, because right now I'm doing next to nothing. Posting on this blog might just be the most actively intellectual thing I do all week.

I just started reading A People's History of the United States Supreme Court, which is a lusty 500-page tome that focuses on more than 80 Supreme Court Cases. I say lusty only because the author (whose name escapes me at the moment) mentions an episode where a man was killed for having sex with a sheep. He's attempting to illustrate the Biblical foundation for the colonial criminal code, but it's hard to focus on theory when you have such a vivid practice.

I'm wondering how my experiences will compare to Turow's; after all, the differences are profound and numerous. He attended Harvard; I'll be attending a regional school unknown to most people outside the Deep South. He attended thirty years ago, a time that was vastly different from my own.

However, there are some commonalities that bind us. To a large extent, the law school curriculum hasn't changed. Laws are updated, but traditions are strong, and the pendulum of legal reform moves slowly. Something in my gut tells me there will be more correlations than common sense would seem to dictate.

This observation thrills and worries me, all at the same time.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading your posts on LSD. I hope to start MC in the fall of next year. I find myself approving of your posts very much, as well as your handling of the trolls and other dysfunctional personalities that seem to infest LSD and another law student forum that allows anonymous posting.

Robin

6:41 PM  
Blogger Yorick said...

Have you been accepted yet? If so, what schools are you looking at?

So far I've only met one other person who will definitely be attending, so it's great to hear from a second. If you don't live in the area, I'd be happy to describe the city for you.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I haven't been accepted yet. I suspect I will be... but it's prolly going to be for Fall of 2006, since it's so late in the admission cycle (I applied on time, and have been waiting on the June LSAT).

I live here in Jackson.

I'm not going to apply anywhere else. I've got family to take care of here in Jackson; a widowed mother and a mentally ill younger sister.

My GPA is atrocious... I hope my LSAT makes up for it.

Robin

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters