BLOG: Nails

banner

2005/07/13

Nails

I'm a horrible nail biter. Which is a problem, since I would like to have nice nails in time for law school. I'll probably be shaking lots of people's hands and the last thing I want them to think is that I'm unkempt.

Stopping is difficult, since most of the time when I do it, I'm not thinking about it. So I was at a loss until I read a passage out of a psychology textbook from the 70's. It stated that there was a professor who had the same problem. What he did was place a rubber band around his wrist. Anytime he caught himself biting his nails he would pull the rubber band as far as possible before snapping it against his wrist. As you can imagine, this hurt a great deal. Once his brain got the message that biting his nails caused pain, he quickly stopped biting. On an unconscious level, his brain changed his behavior. Amazing stuff, really.

I started trying it today. I've had to pop myself a few times, but all in all, I think it's working.

Now if I can only find something to whiten my teeth...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters