BLOG: School's Out Forever

banner

2005/07/12

School's Out Forever

A few miles down the highway there's an old abandoned high school. My wife and I found it while exploring the nearby area one day in the car. Ever since seeing it, I knew I had to go in. When I returned home, I did some research on the Internet but could find virtually nothing about the school. It was like it didn't exist. I did find that it was in service from at least the 40's to late 90's but that was about it.

So yesterday I headed out to explore it. It was the middle of the day when I pulled into the drive. I pulled in quite a ways to avoid the curious passerby and stopped the car where it would be hidden from most traffic. Then I climbed out and looked around.

The school itself is a brick affair with two main buildings- the classroom area and the gymnasium. These two are separated by a short walkway. There are also several "outbuildings", most of which I have no idea what they were used for. One resembles an old hospital but I doubt that was its purpose.

Note: At no point did I see a "No Trespassing" sign; if I had, I probably would have left. Thinking it through, however, one could argue that since the site was public property the only legal way one could keep an explorer out would be to declare the property unsafe to occupy. I didn't see any of those notices either, so I kept going. If a cop of resident had pulled up, I would have went with the old standby of claiming I was looking for my lost dog. It works (almost) every time.

The two main front doors faced the car. I looked at them, but they looked terribly imposing, so I built up my courage by walking around the building first. I knew that there was a small chance I would encouter a homeless person or some teenagers who wanted to break things, so I kept my ears open. My goal in this expedition was only to assuage my curiousity, not take anything or force my way in. I would only be an observer.

I shouldn't have worried. When I walked around the school, I quickly found several ways to enter the old complex. One was too wet, but the other one was perfect. Apparently I wasn't the only one interested in this little treasure, which only served to heighten my apprehension. Walking through, I realized that I was on the bottom floor, in an old science lab. It was then that I almost scared myself to death when I heard a horrible screeching sound to my right. I almost bolted, but I forced myself to stop and ascertain the origin of the sound. It was one of those old metal blinds (the windows had mostly been broken) scraping against the windowpane in the wind. Throughout my exploration, these sounds kept popping up, and I never grew used to hearing them. It's an unnatural sound that makes me think of a banshee. I can hear it as I type this.

After checking out the old gas nozzles in the science lab, I proceeded toward the stairs. A piece of graffiti announcing it's intention to do something vulgar to me served as a greeting. I slowly walked up, my imagination constantly creating horrible scenarios: the insane janitor appearing at the top with a bloody mop; the principal who refuses to admit that the school has closed and holds his students in the basement; or the random psycho killer just waiting for a sap like me to enter.

I don't know why I do these things to myself- I purposely choose to do things that I know will scare the hell out of me. Anyway, I reached the top and found myself in the middle of the main hallway. In retrospect, I believe they may have closed the school due to its small size. The main hall was quite small by modern high school standards, and I don't think I came across more than fifteen classrooms. From the hallway, one could see double doors at both ends. One set of them led the way to my car.

Meandering in that direction, I was struck by how much the place looked like the set of a horror movie- or an X-files episode. Desks and papers were strewn all over the place, as if the teachers and students had left in a total panic. Not that I'm going to steal anything, but the whole place was an Ebay treasure trove. Sitting in the main hallway is a giant solid wood teacher's desk that had to have been built in the 1950's. It's got club feet and has to weigh at least two hundred and fifty pounds. I'm thinking about emailing the school district and asking if they would sell it, but then I'd have to admit I entered the building- so I'm at a loss.

There were still chalkboards in the classrooms and at one point I passed a room that was pitch black inside. I didn't go in- for obvious reasons- but it was eerie to look into a totally black room and have no idea what (or who) lurked inside. At this point I think I realized that I was standing in the middle of the spookiest place I'd ever seen.

Before leaving the main building, I entered an old classroom that still had an ancient set of World Book encyclopedias. I passed the old counselor's office on my way out.

Reaching the car, I was about to leave when I remembered that I had left the gymnasium unexplored. Not knowing if I would find occasion to come back, I went to take a look. Unfortunately, I couldn't get in because the rain had flooded the only passable entryway. I did get a good look however. The old high school banners still hung from the rafters, as if waiting for a roaring crowd that would never come again. The whole affair sent a chill up my spine.

Satisfied (for now), I climbed in my car and quickly left. I hope to get some pictures soon, but I think that I will find someone to go with me next time. I do know this- you could not pay me enough money to spend the night in that place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters