BLOG: What Really Matters...

banner

2005/02/06

What Really Matters...

Don't get me wrong- I like football. But in the grander scheme of things, does it really matter? As a society, we spend millions buying tickets and things that have an "NFL" logo; however, there are far more important things that should occupy our time and resources.

I've always believed as much, but watching the Pre-Game show tonight only reaffirmed my conviction. On the field Michael Douglas introduced "The Greatest Generation". These included the Tuskegee Airmen, the 101st Airborne Division, and the Navy Waves, among others. My weak words would do nothing to advance the courage and fortitude these fine men and women displayed in World War II, but suffice it to say I believe them all to be better people than I could ever hope to be. To finish it off, the combined talents of the military came together to perform the National Anthem.

Let me offer a suggestion- if you did not feel something in your chest at the end, when the trumpets reached their crescendo- you have no soul.

My point, which I've attempted to reach in a roundabout way, is this- in the final analysis, what occured before the game tonight is unequivocally more important than who wins or loses or throws the most touchdowns. Grown men running around a field chasing a brown ball makes for good entertainment, but that's all it is.

Just a few questions, and I'll step off my soapbox. I promise.

Can you imagine a society where the celebration of a nation is the main event and football is merely the precursor? Where people gathered in the thousands and sat around TVs to catch a glimpse of soldiers who died for our freedom?

Can you imagine a society where high school students wanted to grow up to be like George Washington or the soldier who died down the street, instead of Terrell Owens and Tom Brady?

Sadly, I cannot.

Last time I checked, Philly was up 7-0, for those of you who care.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must be a very intelligent and brillant person ;)

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters