BLOG: Sixty-Nine Days Until Sweet Blessed Freedom

banner

2005/02/07

Sixty-Nine Days Until Sweet Blessed Freedom

345 class periods. 13.8 weeks. But you get the idea.

Some days the only thing that sustains me is knowing that I have 30 sick days at my disposal. I don't think I'll use them, but having them in my possession helps a great deal. If need be, I could take six weeks off- or sixty half-days.

There's a big part of me that wants to go out of this thing with dignity, however. I don't want to leave on a low note if I can help it; I'd rather leave with the administration and students thinking that the school had lost a great teacher.

As an educator, my biggest weakness is classroom management. As a general rule, I hate conflict and will avoid it at all costs. I'm not sure why, it's just always been a part of my personality. At the grocery store, for example, I'll purposely turn down an aisle if I see that me and another cart will both reach the checkout line at the same time. Then I'll peruse the pastas (or whatever it may be) until the coast is clear and my spot in the line in open.

Although gracious and humble, this approach doesn't really work too well in public education. And yet I can't bring myself to be mean and tell the students what to do. It's just not in me. I'm not exactly Buddha or Jesus or Martin Luther King Jr., but I do try to reach their ideals. They weren't exactly the controlling type. In short, the same quality that makes me a good person makes me a horrible educator.

Let me repeat that, for I think it bears repeating.

The same quality that makes me a good person makes me a horrible educator.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should take a sick day or two.

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as scary as this is...
As a general rule, I hate conflict and will avoid it at all costs. I'm not sure why, it's just always been a part of my personality. At the grocery store, for example, I'll purposely turn down an aisle if I see that me and another cart will both reach the checkout line at the same time. Then I'll peruse the pastas (or whatever it may be) until the coast is clear and my spot in the line in open.


that is exactly me

11:39 AM  
Blogger dawnsia said...

I am so glad I am not a good person...............

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters