BLOG: Ice Cold

banner

2005/02/10

Ice Cold

I wish I could write something meaningful or inspiring today but I'm just too drained. This has been a weird and long week, and I'm ready for it to be over.

In order to make a little extra money, I've arranged an interview next Tuesday. Hopefully it'll work out.

One of my students walked into a closed door today. I heard a bump, looked up, and saw him rubbing his lip and wincing.

"What happened?" I say, inwardly hoping against hope that he wasn't going to say what he said.

"I ran into the door- I thought it was open."

At that moment a tiny sliver of my soul climbed out of my mouth and scurried down the hall, never to be seen again. I have it on good faith that it didn't hit the door by accident as it left.

Lastly, I read an article today in the textbook called "The Man in the Water". It's about an unidentified airplane victim who continually handed the lifeline to other passengers, even as he froze to death and slid beneath the waves. I've forgotten the author- not a good sign- but he did an impressive job of capturing the man's sacrifice. In fact, I found myself having that funny balloon feeling in the chest that makes you dreadfully uncomfortable but lets you know how truly human you are. It was nice.

My students, of course, didn't see the point. They just wanted to know if the questions at the end would be graded. When I tell them that there are more important things than grades, they stare at me in disbelief.

They just don't get it. They don't understand that there are things bigger than the self- that the universe doesn't revolve around them.

My Google ads are trying to sell people plum trees. I find that quite humorous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters