BLOG: Deflated

banner

2005/02/09

Deflated

I changed a flat tire in the rain today. I'm not terribly old, but it seems to me that modern jacks are harder to use than their earlier counterparts. I remember a time when all you had to do was place the jack under the car, place the iron in the slot, and simply move it up and down as the car rose.

Now (for unknown reasons) you have to insert the jack into the hole, turn it over, twist it, and then turn it over again. Doesn't sound too difficult until you try it in the rain and your knees start to hurt because you've been squatting for such a long period of time.

The only thing I can come up with is that car makers are trying to save space in the trunk and make their jack designs as compact as possible. That's great and all, but I really wouldn't mind if the engineers made a jack that's twice as big but worked twice as well. I seriously doubt I'm going to be loading my groceries and utter the words, "Man, I really wish they hadn't made such a big jack... where am I going to put the eighteenth ten-pound can of baked beans?"

On the bright side, I was able to miss the greater part of first period- as a result, my day has been much more enjoyable than usual. In other words, I'd rather change a tire in the rain than come to work. How sad is that?



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One day when riding the school bus we dropped a girl off at her house when an ambulance had arrived. Apparently her uncle was working on a car, and because the ground was wet the car slipped, and her uncle died. Even though changing a tire in the rain doesn’t require actually getting under the car, I am still deathly afraid of anyone lifting a car off the ground in the rain. Glad to see you suffered no harm. - Stacey

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters