BLOG: Taking Account

banner

2006/04/03

Taking Account

I'm about tired of putting my money in banks.

A person shouldn't have to wait in line for twenty minutes to deposit a check or get some money out. I know that ATM's have largely taken over that role, but there are times when you want (or need) to deal with a human. Losing your ATM card or needing a large sum from the bank are just two examples. (Remember, the car I just bought cost $600, and my ATM will only allow a withdrawal of $400 a day. And private used car dealers won't take anything but cash. Can't say as I blame them nowadays.)

When I lived in Claxton, Georgia, we kept our money in the Claxton Bank. As the name suggests, I think it had two branches and one was closed most of the time. However, when you walked in, there would rarely be a person ahead of you in line. Over time they got to know your name. Most importantly, everyone there was glad to see you.

At the big banks, everything is backwards. You wait forever (since they're bigger, they should be able to afford more workers) and then the teller acts like you're ruining her schedule when you ask for some help.

My grandma hides her money in the freezer, I'm told. Being a product of the Depression, she has an inherent distrust of banks. With the interest I'm making on my savings account, I think I might place my savings in an old coffee can buried somewhere in the backyard. It would be just as good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters