BLOG: Amazing

banner

2006/04/03

Amazing

Google Analytics recently confirmed that I had a visitor from Iqaluit.

That's right- Iqaluit.

Since I'd never heard of it either, I'll give a brief history lesson.

Iqaluit is the capital of Canada's newest territory, which is predominately Inuit. Situated in extreme northern Canada, temperatures hover below freezing roughly eight months out of the year. The "summer season" is too short to allow trees to grow, so there is little plant life.

Originally started as a U.S. military base in 1942, it is inaccessible by highway. The only realistic way to travel to Iqaluit is by airplane or, in the peak of summer, by boat. Perhaps as a result, a recent census held the population to be just over 5,000 people.

One of those people visited my site, which is incredible to me. (By the way, unknown visitor- if any of the above information is wrong, feel free to comment/correct/supplant it with factual data. I used wikipedia, which is generally accurate, but who knows?)

This is why the Internet astonishes me- what other medium on this planet would allow me, a hapless 1L in Mississippi, the ability to have an audience in Iqaluit, Canada? My words and thoughts are making connections I never even dreamed about.

Remind me to write Al Gore a thank you letter.

Just kidding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters