BLOG: The Spectre Shows His Face...

banner

2005/08/23

The Spectre Shows His Face...

Well, I survived.

The first two days of law school are over.

As luck would have it, my first professor in my first class on the first day of law school chose to call on me. He asked me what the plaintiff in the first case was litigating over, and I had no idea. It said "trespass on the case", which, unbeknownst to me, is an ancient term for modern-day negligence. You can bet I'll never forget that again.

The funny thing is that I knew the rest of the case backwards and forwards. I knew it was based on subject matter jurisdiction and that a voided judgment can be reversed. I pulled the information from it that would be helpful and relevant to future cases- precisely what a lawyer is supposed to do. Regardless, the professor probably sees me as a clueless moron who knows nothing. Oh well.

My only saving grace is that it was the first day, and as such he probably appreciated the ability to humiliate a number of students. He would probably have been displeased if I had known all the answers.

My other classes went by without incident- I have a front-row seat in most of them. Since I have mild ADD (I think), it helps if I sit near someone with authority.

I think that time management will be the biggest key. The trick is to do every assignment the day it is assigned. Since our classes are on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and Tuesday/Thursday, it's a real temptation to put off work for a day and take a break. To do so is deadly. Already I know of a few of my peers who are falling dangerously behind in their work. Like an avalanche, it's crucial to stay ahead of the falling snow.

And you can bet the farm the workload is only going to get worse.

Luckily, I don't really feel that I'm "working." I actually enjoy briefing cases and learning about the law. As such, I think that the next three years will be quite the enjoyable experience.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you! Most of all, I'm so happy you're finding something you enjoy doing :)

3:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you could let the old folks know how law school is going.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters