BLOG: Monster in the Grass

banner

2005/08/17

Monster in the Grass


Yesterday, I was cleaning up my yard due to the fact that one of my dogs has a predilection for tearing open garbage bags and examining their contents. Thinking I was finished, I took one last look around and saw a piece of trash about twenty-five feet away. Walking over, I bent down to pick it up until I realized it was not a piece of trash but instead a gigantic green moth sent to terrorize my dreams.

These things are HUGE. The websites I've visited say their wingspan is around four and a half inches, but apparently entomologists have yet to see the Mississippi Delta variety, as they appear much larger. At any rate, anytime you see an insect from twenty-five feet away and mistake it for a piece of notebook paper, you're dealing with a pretty large bug. This thing approximated the size of a small bird, for crying out loud.

On a tangent, there's a small moth that appears to have decided that I'm its mother. Almost every day when I go outside, it sits on my hand and stares at me. After a while I get freaked out, due mostly to the fact that its proboscis keeps extending and retracting across my flesh, and I shake it off. Unfortunately, this is not an acceptable outcome for the moth, who very quickly returns to the exact same spot. On one occasion, this happened at least ten times in a row.

Now if I could only get it to fetch, I'd be a shoe-in for Letterman...

5 Comments:

Blogger BTideRoll said...

That moth is a past relative reincarnate. That tenth time it keep coming back to you was obviously not enough to clue you in on this!

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear I saw that moth yesterday- she was sleeping on our windowsill outside by my side of the bed. Everytime I put my finger next to the window, she would extend her wings (probably from the warmth) but, I still think she wants to be adopted :) We have room for 1 little moth don't we?

3:45 AM  
Blogger Zuska said...

That moth is so beautiful! My 9 year old in particular loves bugs, but butterflies, and colored moths, are also a favorite of my otherwise bug-shy 7 year old. We went to the zoo in Boston yesterday, and they had a butterfly pavilion, and we were in there for HOURS while the kids (2 families' worth) were wandering around trying to match up the butterflies/moths with the pictures.

So I just showed them your photo, and we all found it absolutely beautiful!! I would be honored if that creature insisted upon being near to me.

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhhh. My. God. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm ridiculously compassionate when it comes to animals. I can't even step on ants. That doesn't mean I want to shack up with them. About a year and a half ago, I was greeted on my basement steps by a lovely creature known as the Spider Cricket (or Camel Cricket). This was the most frightening insect I have ever encountered. I screamed, left it alone, and ran upstairs, shaking off the willies. I have no idea where it went, because it was gone when I went into the basement (reluctantly) later in the evening. I had visions of waking up to camel crickets in my mouth for weeks, but I never saw one again.

Reading this, you are, like, the BRAVEST person I know.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About a month ago, I saw the same type of moth of at my mother's house. It was huge, but beautiful. It hung on her door all day. That was the first time I had ever seen such a thing.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters