BLOG: Kickin' The Habit

banner

2005/08/12

Kickin' The Habit

Somewhere around the end of May, I became a smoker. To this day, I feel vindicated in that choice, as I had to do something in order to relieve the stress that came with my particular situation. (Anyone who goes back and reads those old posts will certainly understand why.)

But now it is time to quit. Law school is starting, and smoking is the last thing I need to worry about. So lately, I've been following a simple plan to quit. I smoked six cigarettes on Wednesday, five on Thursday, and today I'll only smoke four. Monday should be the last day I smoke, if all goes according to plan.

I don't think it will be that difficult to quit for two reasons: I've only smoked for a relatively short amount of time, and I didn't start until I was in my mid-20s. I'm not a scientist, but I think the body of a 15 year old probably handles nicotine differently from someone who's pretty much grown. My body "knows" that nicotine isn't a necessity; it didn't "need" it for a quarter of a century. A body still growing, however, might become more dependent on the drug, not realizing that it's not necessary.

Like I said, I'm not a scientist- it's just a hunch.

For the remainder of the period, I will only post on this matter if I (a) don't stick with the program, or (b) after Monday, I go two days without smoking. In this way, I won't bore you (hopefully) with trivial details.

(Just to dispel confusion- I'm not quitting because of Peter Jennings' death. While I admired him, I knew that smoking causes lung cancer long before his untimely passing. The two events are merely a coincidence. Also, I have a sinking suspicion that most of the thousands who have vowed to quit after hearing the news will be lighting up by the end of next week. These people are reacting out of passion- and passion always cools.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't care what the reason is--i am glad you are trying to quit.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters