BLOG: Psychosomatic

banner

2005/08/13

Psychosomatic

I've always hated the first day of school, regardless of whether I was the student or teacher.

Almost inevitably, that first morning brings a bout of stomach churning- think butterflies on steroids.

The funny thing is that mentally I'm prepared for the challenge- but my body, following some prehistoric urge, creates anxiety. I know, without a doubt, that everything will be fine- but it's impossible to deliver that message to the body. It operates, apparently, on a completely different wavelength from the mind.

This feeling only lasts until I make it to school- I suppose it's the anticipation that triggers it. But for whatever reason, the feeling subsides the moment I begin the task before me.

Usually, this feeling only occurs the morning before the event- for some strange reason, I'm beginning to feel anxious rumblings over a week before the first day of law school officially begins. This is not good news. It's almost as if my body, realizing that law school is a "bigger deal" than the first days of years past, has decided to intensify its protest a bit.

Luckily, I know from past experience that this is at best a minor convenience, as it should disappear the second I actually begin the process. Once the mind is able to show the body that all of its worrying has been for naught, it quickly fades into the background.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters