BLOG: Fear the Reaper

banner

2005/03/14

Fear the Reaper

I've been doing a lot of thinking about death lately and I've come to the conclusion that I don't like it- I don't like it at all. It's not the event itself that gets to me, but the slow decay and rust of the body. I don't want to fall apart.

In a few years I'll have a kid and get older- eventually my dad will pass and I'll become the grandpa of the family. I picture all of us as packages on a conveyor belt and we're slowly moving toward the end. I understand this is unavoidable but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I've been reading Dylan Thomas' "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" and it has never made more sense. Death, although unavoidable, should be fought to the bitter end.

Right now I'm 25- that's the good news. But I need to start now so I'll live a long, long time (and be healthy while I'm at it). I don't think I'd mind being 80 or 85 as long as I could still walk around and take care of myself.

So here's my self-improvement list:

1. Take a multivitamin everyday- I need to research this because I hear the organic stuff is better, but Centrum will do for now.

2. Exercise at least three days a week thirty minutes a day- even if it's just walking. (I used to jog, but my knees started complaining- maybe I'll buy a bike.)

3. Cut out my addiction to caffeine and soda. The websites I've read on the stuff is disheartening, to say the least.

4. Eat healthier- more fruits and vegetables and less refined sugar.

I know this won't happen overnight but my goal is to move in this general direction. Since #1 is the easiest, I'll start there. If I don't do it, I'll confess it here for the world to see.

Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters