BLOG: Eighty-Four Squares

banner

2005/03/08

Eighty-Four Squares

Back when I realized that attending law school during the day was a possibility, the teaching days began to drag. Once I found out that I would definitely become a 1L this fall, every second turned into an hour.

To combat the time and celebrate each day I make it through, I created a grid of eighty-four squares. For the math inclined, it was 12 X 7, with some columns being wider than others. My thought was that the small boxes would represent easy days and the larger boxes would represent harder days, but in practice my plan has devolved to random bubbling in order to create a cool pattern.

I especially like how each box tells a little story. Today, for example, I forgot to fill in the box until I got to Sylvan, so I used a yellow highlighter to celebrate the occasion. Another time a green colored pencil had to suffice. What has resulted is a kaleidoscope of colors that quite resembles a Kandinsky painting.

Eventually I plan to take the finished piece and have it framed to hang in my law office. Then (if I ever have time) I can look back at my creation and reminisce about all of the experiences I've recorded.

1 Comments:

Blogger dawnsia said...

In my longer classes I keep a little 'grid' with time increments on it and every time 10 minutes go by I shade in that portion of the grid, it's not as "frame-worthy" as your piece sounds, but it does help pass time:)And it seems my happiness does increase several heart bubbles as the grid fills up.In high school, in a boring class, I figured out I could draw an eyeball with lashes, a frog, a flower, and a vine and it took up 5 whole minutes- so by the time I drew the whole set about 9 times it was time to go. You should consider asking your students how they pass the time when they aren't listening. Oh and my Thursday night class is the worst, or the best-I usually get my weekly budget and groccery list done and sometimes have time to work on my wishlist too, all the while filling in the grid!

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters