BLOG: Topical Depression

banner

2005/03/07

Topical Depression

I don't usually write about items in the national or local news because I'm too busy. I do feel, however, that the Michael Jackson case warrants some attention, if only for the sheer and grandiose stupidity that he has displayed over the last decade.

America is largely a forgiving people. We look the other way when our Presidents cheat on their wives (Clinton, I assure you, was not the first) and when our sports heroes commit indiscretions. Perhaps by absolving our heroes of their sins we are able to connect with them on a more realistic level. Perhaps it helps us to see ourselves in them.

There are very few things we will not forgive. Harming women and children has to the be the top two on a very short list.

I honestly don't know if Michael Jackson is guilty or not- as I've mentioned earlier, that's for the courts to decide. What I want to focus on is the sheer stupidity, because that alone should be enough to incarcerate someone.

How can someone almost be convicted of molesting a child and then continue to share a bed with little kids? Why put yourself in a situation that is rife with controversy? Why not install cameras to record the "sleep-overs" or hire people to share the room and serve as witnesses that nothing happened? He had to be smarter than this, didn't he? There are really only two logical explanations for this behavior- either he's delusional (read: nuts) or he's guilty.

Does anyone smell a defense strategy?

Secondly, what human being on this planet allows their child to spend the night with this man? To me, the parents in this case are worse than Michael, for they knowingly put their children in the bed of an alleged child molester. I can tell you right now, even if I though Jackson were innocent, I wouldn't let my child sleep in his bed. That's a definite one-percent rule, where even if there's a one-percent chance he's guilty, you don't chance it.

Some things just aren't worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters