BLOG: Dirty Rumor

banner

2005/03/29

Dirty Rumor

An unknown teacher at school has been telling his students that I'm not coming back next year because I've been fired. According to him, I'm lying about the fact that I'll be attending law school next year. I haven't figured out who it is yet, but I'll let you know as soon as I do.

I don't really stick my neck out far enough to have any real enemies, so I'm baffled that someone would say this.

On the other hand, my department chair has dropped me from her email list, because I disagree with her regarding educational philosophy. So maybe I do rub some people the wrong way- it just strikes me as odd that those people who think independently are considers threats in a place of learning. What are we teaching students if those who are different are ostracized and made to leave?

I had an English teacher in high school named Mr. Avalon who changed my life. He smoked on the loading dock and cursed while teaching and taught me more than I ever knew possible. He's probably retired by now, his penchant for nicotine or vulgarity no longer acceptable in our politically correct world.

I'm just a pretender, but I do know this- when education effectively clears out and pushes away the mavericks of the profession, there is no hope left. With only cookie-cutter educators, the only possible output are cookie-cutter students and citizens. Brave New World, anyone?

Our society needs radical thinkers to advance the debate and force issues to the breaking point, or we will stagnate and never move forward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters