BLOG: Subtle Shades of Sickness

banner

2006/09/11

Subtle Shades of Sickness

I'm coming more and more to the realization that I really don't want to become a lawyer.

Why? Because of a class called Appellate Advocacy.

Appellate Advocacy is a class where we write briefs in the defense of our clients to an appellate court. Later we argue these briefs before a fake panel. For our efforts, we receive a grade.

That all sounds great and good, but it's main purpose is to introduce everyone in class to moral relativism. In my small group meetings, this is a normal discussion.

"How can I spin this fact to better help my client?"

"How do I leave this out without making it look like I meant to?"

"Should I say he suffered a serious injury, or just say injury, since it would benefit my client more."

I could feel my soul slipping away.

In advocacy law, perception attempts to become the reality of a given situation. What actually happened isn't important- what lawyers make judges and juries think happened is. Ugh.

I refuse to practice in a career where I have to profess slipshod morals in order to better defend my client. I was raised to believe it's better to lose with honor than win by being a total jackass.

Of course, I could be wrong about that. But I doubt it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to have a friend that loved animals and hated people. She’s almost completed pharmacy school. I personally think she should have been a veterinarian.

I have a brother who has an English degree who decided to go to law school. I personally think he should have gotten his Masters degree and then his Doctorate degree in English and been a college professor. He really loves to talk.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters