BLOG: Healthy Turn

banner

2006/09/18

Healthy Turn

For some unexplained reason, I've felt the desire to lead a healthier life. No one pushed me, and my lack of overall health wasn't something that barred me from doing the things I liked to do, since most of the things I did were unhealthy. In other words, I wasn't really upset that I couldn't run a marathon. I'd just sit on the couch, eat a 7-layer burrito from Taco Bell, and tune in to the television.

I tried to jog for a while, but my left knee has always given me trouble- so I turned to a bike.

Also, I've not smoked a cigarette in over three days. I went to Wal-mart on Friday and purchased the Equate version of Nicoderm, the patch that helps you quit. I didn't have so much a problem with the physical aspects of smoking- I'd quit plenty times before- but the mental habit of doing it would lead me astray. When you've smoked for over a year you pick one up without thinking about it. So the patch delivers enough nicotine to keep me sane, but helps me break the habit of actually smoking a cigarette.

Besides from the fact that they itch like hell for the first fifteen minutes, they've worked great. On Saturday, my father-in-law threw a family get together to celebrate a grandkid's birthday, and almost everyone was smoking. I wasn't even tempted, which is saying a lot.

Also, I'm taking a daily multivitman, ester-C, and trying to cut down on my calories in order to lose weight.

Note: I don't want people to think that I'm morbidly obese as I type this. I'm roughly six feet tall and weight 195 pounds. I'm what one would call "T-shirt" overweight. That's where you can hide your gut just fine with a polo shirt or tucked out dress shirt, but it shows if you're just wearing a T-shirt. When I began this odyssey, I was at 205, and quickly approaching "polo shirt" territory, so I knew it was time for a change.

I did some calculations, and apparently I was eating roughly 2900 calories a day. Which was fine when I was eighteen, but isn't so good now. So I'm trying to limit my caloric intake to 1500 calories a day until I'm down to my ideal body weight. Trust me- I'm not anorexic. That said, I'm going to keep going until I reach for my stomach and find nothing to grab.

The first ten pounds flew off, probably because of water loss. Now it's a slow road, but I'm walking it. I'm thinking that the fact that I'm biking everyday had probably muscled up my legs a bit, so that might be why my weight has stabilized.

I know that was probably too much information for the average reader to care about, but I felt like posting it anyway. I find that the things that make me uncomfortable to confront are generally the things that make for the best entries.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have six of the 21 mg equate patches you can have if you want them. They didn't work for Brian.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Yorick said...

Awesome!

You're my hero of the day.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

vickie said
Glad you are trying to stop smoking. since you are health conscience these days--where your helmet? surely a helmet cannot add much weight. where's my peanuts?

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters