BLOG: Hurt Paw

banner

2005/11/15

Hurt Paw

When I arrived at my house yesterday, I noticed that one of my dogs was severely limping. I instantly played amateur vet, fearing that he had been hit by a car and broken his leg. (I never see him head toward the road, so I didn't think this was a great possiblity, but I was worried nonetheless.) Quickly, however, I learned that was not the case. Somehow he had managed to rip off a good portion of the padding on his back right foot.

I called the local vet and asked him what could be done. He said to clean and wrap it with gauze and duct tape and change the bandage everyday. He suggested antibiotics if it started looking worse, but other than that, I guess there's not a whole lot they can do.

I had to sit him up between my legs while my wife applied the bandage. He sat calmly throughout the whole ordeal, even though it had to be uncomfortable. He must have known we were helping him. He looks a bit silly with a big bandage on his foot but he is putting some weight on it now. He tried to shake it off at first but now I think he accepts it. It was on tight when I left for school this morning, and with any luck, it'll still be on when I get home.

I am curious about one thing, though- will the pad grow back or will it just heal over? Either way, I don't think he'd have trouble walking, since he spends 99% of his time in the grass or the hay in his house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters