BLOG: Subpoena

banner

2005/05/03

Subpoena

Apparently my legal education is getting off to a quick start.

A few weeks ago a student of mine allegedly mentioned to a few people that he was going to kill me and everyone else in the room. I didn't personally hear it, but allegedly he confessed to the statement later.

The administrative hearing was today, and it was decided that it would be best if the student was placed in the district's alternative school. I had to come forward and read my statement (they even turned on a tape recorder and made me "swear to tell the truth...")

Case closed, right? Wrong.

A police officer approached me today and handed me a slip of paper. Before I even knew it, I had been subpoenaed. Apparently the DA is gonna see if there's enough evidence to constitute a "clear and viable threat". So now I have to show up at a prearrest hearing for the student.

Why, oh why can't I end my teaching career like a normal person?

Sigh.

2 Comments:

Blogger dawnsia said...

That's great stuff, the stuff blogs should be made of! So- what- you are at Walmart and a cop approaches you and that in itself doesn't freak you out?

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just think-you haven't even started law school yet and you have already received your first threat. way to go, yorick.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters