BLOG: There's Something Happenin' Here

banner

2005/03/22

There's Something Happenin' Here

For some unknown reason, the blog received almost 100 hits today (by the time I go to bed, it may surpass that landmark). That's about two and a half times normal volume. And Adsense data tells me that it's largely individual surfers, rather than one person checking obsessively- not that I mind that.

Either a) something I typed triggered a lot of Google searches, b) word of mouth may actually be working, or c) it's just serendipity.

My sister actually published an entry earlier about the fact that the internet has devolved into a place where we check our mail, the weather, and the latest headlines. It's basically become a TV with a really cool remote. On a basic "surfing" trip, I may visit four or five sites and then sign off.

I submit that we change that with a two-front offensive. First, there are blogs, which foster and spread the healthy exchange of ideas. This in and of itself will go a long way to cure the problem. Can you imagine for a moment a blog that literally everyone with an internet connection visited once a day to discuss ideas? Together, we'd be unstoppable.

The other half of the equation is to use the internet for a truly constructive purpose. In that vein, I'm going to become a world-renowned expert on something. I don't know what yet, but one day I will be. You'll see me on the Discovery Channel with a bad tie blathering on about the mating cycles of seahorses or the use of seven-inch bayonets during the Spanish-American war.

In short, I'm going to know as much as possible about something, even if it's totally meaningless.

I'm open to suggestions.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always said that I'm the type of person who knows a little bit about a lot of things. I'd really like to become an "expert" on something utterly useless and mundane. Unfortunately, we teachers have very little spare time to do any such thing.

5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael Gorman, President of the ALA, would disagree on blogs usefulness to discuss ideas.

I actually don't much care for them myself, but will probably still start one up soon.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters