BLOG: Charles Washington and Travel Plans

banner

2005/02/23

Charles Washington and Travel Plans

I met a guy a few days ago named Charles who reminded me of a best friend I had from elementary school named Charles Washington. I think he even came to my house a few times, but I'm not sure.

I might do a search and see if I can't locate him. He probably still lives in Mississippi.

Speaking of Mississippi, I've made a tentative list of places I want to visit upon my return. This list might be helpful for the three or four people a year who choose to visit the state. The places include:

1. Bayou Pierre and Grindstone Bluffs on the Natchez Trace- this is a nice creek with a huge sand beach tucked away from everything. There's even a cow pasture nearby on a bluff. Very idyllic setting.

2. Rodney- this "ghost" town is one of the spookiest places I've ever been. There's a cemetery high on a hill behind what's left of a church. For the historians out there, there's even an old Union cannonball in the facade of the church.

3. Clark Creek Nature Area- this place, stashed away in the lower southwest corner of the state, offers up some of the most rugged terrain anywhere in the South (short of the Appalachians, of course). There are about twenty waterfalls to find and explore.

4. Natchez-under-the-Hill: Once home to robbers and pirates, this place is now a great reawakening of Southern culture- a mix of history and progress beautifully packaged.

So, that's the list. Hopefully I'll be able to visit all of them this summer. I'll keep everyone posted.

It's good to have goals.

By the way, if any of you want to comment with out of the way places in your home state, feel free- I hate going by the guide books you find in the bookstores. I'd rather find the places few people know about.

1 Comments:

Blogger dawnsia said...

Down around the corner is a place called "bluespace" drive where the moflows and qualamazoos live in peace and harmony........now that they are older....much older, and for the record Rodney isn't spooky, it's just cool. I love Grindstone Ford, and one day when you are here you will have to take me, and Mark and Imogen to see the cool swimming spot I always miss at Rocky Springs.......

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters