BLOG: Possums on the Back Deck (Or How I Learned to Play the Odds)

banner

2005/02/22

Possums on the Back Deck (Or How I Learned to Play the Odds)

In addition to the work we do with the Humane Society, my wife and I also feed a few stray cats on the back deck. What we didn't realize when we started is how our back deck would become a full-service buffet for every possum and raccoon in the area. At one point I counted two cats, a possum, and five raccoons on the deck at the same time. They even eat together, if there's enough food.

Up until a few months ago, the possums and raccoons would take off the second we opened up the door, only to return a few minutes after we returned inside. Lately, however, they've grown bolder. They'll just hide in the shadows with the cats until we put the food down and leave. I swear one day a possum is going to walk right up while I'm outside and start eating. Not that I would stick around to watch, mind you- they only play "possum" if they feel they are losing a fight- their needlelike teeth can do quite a bit of damage if they feel threatened. Also, many raccoon (and some possum) carry rabies, so you probably wouldn't want to let one of them chew on your finger.

If you're ever bitten by a squirrel, though, don't worry. Squirrels RARELY carry rabies, since they're too small to sustain an attack by an animal that carries the virus. I learned this the hard way when a squirrel I rescued from traffic bit me on the finger. I felt his teeth hit the bone on both sides as I swung him to and fro wildly in a desperate attempt to free my unfortunate digit. When I talked to the doctor, he said, "There's a 99% chance the squirrel doesn't have rabies. So we're not going to give you the treatment."

Way to go, science.

Back in the present, the possums have taken to living on our back deck in a few shelters I made for the stray cats. I almost feel pity for the burglar that stumbles across that surprise in the middle of the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters