BLOG: Sassy Update #1

banner

2005/12/15

Sassy Update #1

After reviewing our options, my wife and I decided to take Sassy to Mississippi State University for the hip surgery. I decided against the FHO because sometimes the surgery is unsuccessful, whereas the toggle pin is usually a complete and total cure.

I was amazed at the facilities they had up there- the waiting room was bigger than most vet's offices- they even had an emergency entrance. Vets were paged across the intercom system, lending an air of authority to the place.

They took Sassy back and took some more X-rays, discovering in the process that she also had a broken back. Luckily the break occurred below the spinal cord, and she still has her nerve functions. My treatment options involved either keeping her immobile for six to eight weeks or getting a second surgery to put the spine back in place. I told them about my financial situation, and they agreed to let me pay the spine surgery off over a few months.

I'm quite upset that the emergency clinic and the regular vet didn't catch the broken back. You would think that when a dog is taken into the emergency room for a serious injury, they would take a comprehensive X-ray to look for problems. As a law student, I wonder if I have a case, but I realize it's probably a dead end.

Thankfully, she made it out of surgery and should be just fine, once her splinted foot heals.

None of this would have been possible if my Mom hadn't graciously let me use her credit card. Also, my sister helped out by traveling with me to Starkville to drop Sassy off.

I'll let everyone know how the situation progresses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters