BLOG: In With The New.

banner

2005/12/30

In With The New.

Although I don't understand what it is about human nature that makes us want to make resolutions for the new year, it is a phenomenon that I readily understand. For some reason, making life-changing decisions on July 28th doesn't have quite the same appeal.

Perhaps we are all looking at a chance for redemption- another bite at the apple. We wish to wash the old stains of life away and begin anew, cleansed by the start of a new jaunt around the sun.

So be it. If the calendar can lend us fortitude in improving our lives, I won't be the one to dispel the myth.

That said, here's my list of resolutions:

1. Completely Stop Smoking- I've "quit" several times in the last few weeks, but never for good. I usually go two or three days at a time before picking up a pack when I stop by a gas station for gas. I don't think I'm physically addicted so much as I'm psychologically addicted to the habit itself- I think a wide assortment of chewing gums will do the trick in that regard.

2. Begin Running Again- In my heyday, I used to run roughly four miles a day in about thirty minutes. Not too shabby for a guy who weighs almost 200 pounds. (There's a reason the guy who wins the Boston Marathon every year weighs next to nothing.) Although there were days when I didn't like running, overall I missed it. I'm hoping to get one of those new-fangled GPS devices to track exactly how far I've run. I'm going to wait until February to let my lungs heal from the smoking, though. Thus #2 depends on #1.

3. Take Care of Fingernails- I've always had a bad habit of chewing my fingernails. This year I vow to grow them out to a customary length and take better care of them. This serves a utilitarian purpose as well- I'm going to be meeting potential employers soon and I want to look well-groomed.

4. Not Cut My Hair- I haven't cut my hair since early September, and I plan on growing it until I'm sure I want to cut it for two weeks straight. I've never had "long" hair, and I'm interested in seeing how it turns out. This one isn't as steadfast as the other three- I'll cut it if it begins to look unkempt or influences my choice of summer internship positions.

I'll update my progress on these every now and then once the new year starts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters