BLOG: Adoptee

banner

2005/09/05

Adoptee

Due to the hurricane, hundreds of dogs and cats were displaced and abandoned along the Gulf Coast. Since I had recently lost a dog of my own- Hunter- I felt that it would be appropriate to take in a dog that had no home.

Looking through the cages, I settled on a female Alaskan Husky mix. Her eyes are white and haunting, but she's a friendly little devil. My wife has decided to name her either Shira or Xena.

The United States Humane Society was on hand, and told me how she was rescued. Apparently, she was in a Gulfport shelter when the storm surge came in. The water level rose to within just a few inches of the top of her cage. Which means she had to stand in the rushing water and breathe as best she could until the waters receded. Half of the dogs in the building didn't make it.

I'm pleased to report that the other dogs have accepted her, and they're having a ball in the yard. She also loves hot dogs.

5 Comments:

Blogger BTideRoll said...

Two of my family's best dogs were Siberian Husky/Malamute mixes.

Mine was jet black with white patches on its face and eachs and paws and looked exactly like a wolf. My sisters was brown with white patches and had one green eye and one blue eye.

I'm sure its a beautiful animal

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are my heros! (heroes?) I've been following the efforts of Noah's Wish to rescue these poor animals, but your story is the first I've seen to have such a happy ending.

In other news, back to school tomorrow. Any second thoughts? Heh heh.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Say in your "poem" that people didn't leave due to "folly" (god forbid you acknowledge poverty), and yet find the time and space in your home for a DOG. a dog. helping people -- impossible! Dogs, however, ohhhhh, how cuuuuteeee!"

3:30 PM  
Blogger Yorick said...

You parse my words and miscontrue their meaning. I wrote in my poem, "Either folly or a lack of time, which one we'll never know." Those who did not escape due to poverty (admittedly a large number) would fall under the latter reason listed. Had there been enough time, everyone could have evacuated- buses could have been sent, orders given, etc. Unfortunately the hurricane didn't follow our timetable.

As far as helping people, I volunteered at the local Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) for six hours the night before the storm, directing evacuees to local shelters.

One last point- dogs and cats didn't ask to be domesticated. I don't help them because they're "cute"- I help them because without our help, they have precious few options. Usually even the poorest human beings have enough sense to seek out help- many animals, however, actually head toward the areas of greatest danger during a disaster.

7:45 PM  
Blogger dawnsia said...

I cannot sombody even read your whole poem-it looked too long for me:)

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters