BLOG: Self-Service

banner

2005/08/31

Self-Service

Note: I in no way mean to belittle the great tragedy that is being played out along the Gulf Coast and New Orleans. When I describe the situation in Jackson, Mississippi, I do so only to report the events as I find them- a citizen journalist, so to speak. I do not comment on the crisis to the south because I am not there. This then, is my story.

There is virtually no gas within a thirty-mile radius of Jackson. The gas stations that still have gas are quickly running out. Today, on my way to Clinton, I saw a line that must have been roughly a half-mile long. Police were stationed to keep order.

My wife and I have had to separate in order to conserve gas. Her parents live closer to her work than we do, so we decided that she should stay there. My law school has closed until Tuesday, September 6th- like most school systems in the area.

Ice and drinkable water are also a concern for many. For the last few days, the radio stations in the area have basically become a sounding board- where to find ice, gas, food, etc. It's heartbreaking to hear people on the radio who are sitting in the hot darkness with no water and no sense of hope.

As I mentioned in a previous post, most people in Jackson are without power. The lights are coming back on, but it's a long and arduous process. Many people have special medical concerns (insulin, dialysis, etc.) that make the hiatus particularly painful.

I don't know how long we'll have to go without gas here. I'm staying here at the trailer to conserve energy. Hopefully, the shortage will end soon.

Like I said before, I'm fortunate. There are those with bigger problems than me. I'm just reporting what I'm going through, so that others will know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters