BLOG: Living off the Land

banner

2005/09/01

Living off the Land

I think most people don't realize how much we depend on gasoline. Almost every item on the grocery store shelf comes in on a truck. If you've ever been to a Wal-Mart late at night, you've seen the convoys arrive like clockwork.

Our only saving grace might be the fact that most semis run on diesel, which I imagine isn't in quite as short a supply. We'll have to wait and see.

Right now the local news is putting gas conservation tips on the TV. This is surreal.

My goal right now is to plan for the long-term. I'm fine for two weeks, but what happens when two weeks passes and there's still no gas?

I have two ideas. One involves two rather large chestnut trees in the field behind my house. Last time I checked, they had dumped quite a lot of fruit on the ground. I need to pick them up and store them just in case. I know it sounds crazy, but I'd rather have them than not.

The second idea is to procure a fishing pole and some tackle. There's a small pond behind my house that I believe is full of fish, and a rather large river is about a mile down the road. That would be almost an endless supply of food- if I needed it.

Once again, I don't think it will come to this, but I'm prone to think ahead.

Hope for the best- prepare for the worst.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters