BLOG: Runnin' on Fumes

banner

2005/02/19

Runnin' on Fumes

Money is pretty tight right now, since I haven't started receiving checks from Sylvan yet and my wife hasn't found another job. We knew it was going to be difficult when she quit her nanny job, but she had to work twelve hours a day (with an hour drive on either end), so it was the best decision. I didn't want her to work until June (when we are leaving) and have her lose her mind. Regardless, she seems much happier now, so I'm happy.

Right now, my life is very much like an airplane headed toward a mountain. Luckily I have a parachute (law school scholarship) so it really doesn't matter what happens to the plane. I can build a better one once I land. But for the next three or four months I'm stuck in a whistling cabin, watching the altimeter slowly sink. The tank is low and what's left is leaking out, because I don't care. I'm trying to teach the students with all the enthusiasm I have left but I've really stopped caring what the administration thinks, because it really doesn't matter. It's incredibly difficult to fire someone from public education unless they do something particulary heinous.

So my goal is to wait until the last possible moment and jump out to safety as my rickety education plane explodes in a spectacular fireball. Then I can make camp and prepare to climb the mountain of law school- and hopefully find the Promised Land beyond.

The trick is knowing when to jump.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was told by a teacher today that sometimes it takes longer than 3 years to decide if you want to be a teacher. maybe you should give it another year.lol

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI,
Guess who? Love your website. I have been sitting here reading it. Very good!!!!! I saw the picture of brownie. She is so sweet and a good picture too. Love ya!!!

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters