BLOG: A Look Back

banner

2006/05/16

A Look Back

This was originally posted exactly one year ago. It gives me perspective on how far I've come in twelve short months. Back then, I was a stressed educator counting down the days to freedom. Now I've got a year of law school behind me and a great summer job that's challenging and rewarding. All we can judge the present by is the past- if that is true, I'm quite happy with the present.


Just when I thought I'd seen it all...
My students generally bring food into the classroom. I used to try and fight it, but I quickly gave up. Since the school has roughly twenty Coke machines, multiple snack machines, and sells chicken biscuits in the morning to make money, I have a sinking suspicion that food in the classroom isn't really that big of a deal.

Normally it doesn't bother me. I don't care if someone wants to sip a beverage or eat a little as they learn- as long as they're learning.

Last week, however, one of my students in first period walked in with nothing less than a plate full of ravioli. Ravioli. The kind that comes out of a can. Now mind you, this is taking place at 8:40 in the morning, which is not when the thought of pasta in a heavy red sauce really appeals to me.

I started to say something to her, and then stopped.

Because I realized something. Her mom has to know she did this. She had a plate and a fork, for cryin' out loud! Chances are, her mom gave it to her on purpose. What parent sends their child to school with a can of ravioli to eat for breakfast? Secondly, how am I supposed to convince her that this in unacceptable when apparently her family thinks otherwise? If I was her, there's no way I'd accept some goofy white man's opinion over that of her mother. No way. So I kept my mouth shut and watched in amazement (and a little bit of horror) as she sat there, stuffing piece after piece into her mouth.

I need a long vacation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters