BLOG: Country Lawyerin'

banner

2006/05/16

Country Lawyerin'

I'm working in a small town.

Small, as in there are no traffic lights.

Small, as in you can count the number of places to eat on one hand.

Small, as in three gas stations.

Small, as in chickens run about the parking lot behind my law office.

It's nice, though, working somewhere that resembles Mayberry. Yesterday, I had to get a key made to the office, so I walked the short distance to the hardware store. Once I passed through the door, I could have easily stepped back in time twenty-five years.

The man working there was helping an old man get seeds for his garden. Instead of selling them in prepackaged amounts, the man pulled out the appropriate drawer from a huge piece of wooden furniture, scooped out a certain amount, and then packaged it. The old man checked out with three bulging bags of seeds. (One was lima and the other was turnip greens- I'm not sure about the third one.) Total price? Five dollars.

While waiting for my key to get made, my eyes wandered about the store. The most interesting item for sale was a 14-foot bamboo fishing pole for $6.95. I didn't have any cash at the time, but I hope to pick one up the next time I do. Everybody should catch at least one fish with a bamboo pole before they die, if only to prove it can be done.

I'm doing a lot of work at the office- filing complaints, answering complaints, replying to counterclaims, sending interrogatories, entering judgments, etc. It's not as glamorous as the big firm jobs, but the experience is invaluable. As of right now, I could probably do a decent job of bluffing my way through the initial stages of a lawsuit- pleading, discovery, everything up until the moment I would actually have to set foot in a courtroom. Then I'd be lost.

Luckily, I have two more years before I have to worry about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters