BLOG: Slim Pickens

banner

2005/07/30

Slim Pickens

I drove to Pickens, Mississippi a few days ago on a lark.

I won't make that mistake again.

The town is exactly as Faulkner would have written it- you have the black people living on one side of the town and the white people living on the other. The main highway through town serves as a line of demarcation. Both sides have a separate church- the police station straddles the two sides, as it sits right on the highway- and it was clear to me from driving through that things had been this way for a long time.

There's one gas station in town and the center of activity revolves around a small grocery store at the edge of town.

I originally went to see their library (they had one, believe it or not) because I thought it might be a good place to study during law school. Unfortunately, it's smaller than most people's living rooms and looks like it's in an old mechanic's shop. I guess I'll be studying at the Canton library.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters