BLOG: Job Update

banner

2006/06/21

Job Update

Today I went out to a tiny little town and collected evidence of some damage caused to a gas station. I took several photos and discussed the incident with the lady working there.

Take that, highly-paid workers in the big city! I bet you don't get to go out and do stuff like that.

That's one of the big benefits of this job- I'm learning the practical ins and outs of being an attorney.

Law school itself is basically helpless in this regard, since it's rooted so firmly in theory. Real-world law is not dictated by pointy-headed professors.

Here's a brief list of the things I've learned how to do, and it's been roughly a month since I began:

1. Write and file a complaint (for trespass, partition of land, odomoter fraud, etc.)
2. Write a summons, serve said defendant, and then file the proof or service with the clerk.
3. Send a certificate of service.
4. Write interrogatories, requests for admissions, and request for production of documents.
5. Write demand letters to insurance companies.
6. Write orders (to determine heirs, assess damages, etc.) and send to clerk to have the Judge sign.
7. Write motions (to deem admission admitted, summary judgment, remand to state court, etc.) some even going to federal court.
8. File documents in the federal court district's new electronic system.
9. Interview clients and acquire contracts for said clients.
10. Assist in real estate closings.
11. Do some (albeit quite limited) title work.
12. Fashion deposition questions.
13. Write and get an order for heirs published in a generally circulated newspaper for three weeks.

Some of it is largely my own effort, but all of it involves guidance from my boss. But I'm learning quick, and more and more stuff is getting past his glance with little more than a shrug.

Add to this the fact that I'm meeting several attorneys and various judges and I couldn't be more content with my current position.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is sooo great! At Big Law Firm, the most you'd probably know by now is that Mr. Attorney likes his coffee with no cream and just a teaspoon of sugar :)


Judy

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters