BLOG: Fahrenheit 4-Cylinder

banner

2006/01/09

Fahrenheit 4-Cylinder

Over the last few weeks, the car my wife and I share has been acting strangely. Namely, it would get close to overheating in the morning, then cool down after the car sat and idled for a few minutes. This would happen even if the temperature outside was quite cold, so I knew something was wrong.

I checked the fluid levels every now and then and didn't see a problem, so I ruled out a leak. A quick search of the car's symptoms on the Internet showed the likely culprit to be one of two things- the thermostat was sticking or the water pump was going faulty.

A quick call to an auto parts store let me know that a thermostat costs $6.88 and a water pump costs almost twenty dollars. More importantly, a thermostat is relatively easy to replace, whereas the water pump would require a mechanic's expertise.

So I asked my dad to come out and replace the thermostat. It only entailed removing a radiator hose, taking out two bolts and pulling out the old one. Then you simply reversed the process and filled the radiator with clean antifreeze and water.

Knowing what I know now, I could have done it myself, but I don't have the large collection of tools that my Dad has. Having the right tool makes the whole process easier.

Sadly, it would have cost $80 or more at a mechanic's shop. So basically, my father saved me about $70 dollars. Which is $70 I really don't have to spend right now.

Moral of the story: if your car is having trouble keeping cool, replace the thermostat first. It's a quick repair and doesn't cost much- and even if it's not the problem, you've got a new one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Counters